Power Outage

 Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yesterday was interesting....

I woke up at my usual time....stumbled out to the kitchen to make my coffee....then I stood and waited for enough coffee to drip into the pot so that I could grab my first cup.

There it is....first cup of "wake me up".....and I'm just pouring this into my cup when I was plunged into silence and darkness.

For some reason, the electric source to my house completely died.  Just like that....one minute going through my normal routine, and in a second--gone.

I thought that perhaps this was one of those "on again-off again" power problems.  So, I waited....standing in the kitchen....cup of coffee in hand...in the still and dark of the very early morning.

Nothing happened....no flicker of lights indicating that the electric would be returning....nothing.

I found the matches, made my way to the living room to find a candle, and I lit this.  Then, I went outside....

Yes, every one's house is in darkness and stillness.  I hear my neighbor's generator running, so this is everyone and not just me. 

I sat on the deck....drinking my coffee...savoring the stillness and darkness.  I'm thinking to myself that this probably won't last--I'll be able to start getting ready for work soon.

Time passes....no electric....no ironing of the clothes I am going to wear....no shower...no hair washing or drying.

It is getting late, and I must get ready--electric or no electric.

I find some clothes that aren't too wrinkly, take my candle into the bathroom with me so that I can at least see to brush my hair.  Doesn't look too bad from what I can ascertain from the flickers in the mirror. 

I thought to myself--"Well, they'll just have to take me this way--perhaps a little wrinkled...perhaps my hair doesn't look the greatest...but I'll be there to do my job....just have to take me the way I am."

And then my heart and mind felt the thought..."I love you just the way you are." 

What a wonderful feeling!!  God's love isn't dependent upon my clothing or my hair.  He doesn't immediately 'shut off' His love if I mess something up or have some untouched areas of wrinkles.  No, this isn't my God.  My God loves me regardless...and He loves to take those messed up areas and wrinkles of life and turn them around for His good purposes and glory. 

His love is forever, never changing, unfailing.  He is not like the electric company--a power than can be turned off in a storm--or for no reason whatsoever.  In fact, He does some of His greatest work in storms. 

His power is so much stronger--His strength so much greater--His love never ending. 

We just assume our electricity will be there.  We don't appreciate it until it is gone. 

Sometimes, we need a 'plunge into darkness' in order to see and feel 'The Light of the World'...our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

I gather my keys, and start to walk out the door.  As I open the door to leave, the power to my home comes to life.

And I smile, and say, "Thank You for showing me the way through the darkness of this morning."

2 comments:

Peggy July 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

Blessings Beth...So glad that He spoke to you and that He is the ultimate source and power! Thank you for reminding us that He is Our Light. Here's a God-incidence during the time that you wandered in darkness, I worked on an upcoming WFW on Psalm 27:He is the Light and our Salvation! Yet this one says that I'm fearless and of whom shall we be afraid? Darkness shows us our need for a Savior! Glad that your power was restored and I hope you are feeling better, you did not mention that... and it was nice to see you publish some comments :0) I was getting concerned. Many blessings on your work and hopeful upcoming news about this too!

Love and peace,
Peggy

pam July 14, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

Sometimes, we need a 'plunge into darkness' in order to see and feel 'The Light of the World'...our Savior, Jesus Christ. AMEN....wonderful post.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......