A Labor of Love

 Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sometimes I think....sometimes I don't...

I've had  Cara's dog, Nika, visiting with me since Sunday.  She comes to my house to rest.  Cara's household is busy, and this little dog rarely sleeps there...even to the point of checking everyone while they are sleeping. 

I was to return her home on my way to work yesterday.....got ready for work...gathered all her things....walked out the door....locked the door...got in the car and drove off.  I'm driving down the road when I realized that I didn't have the dog!!

By that time it was too late to turn around and go back to retrieve her.  So, another night at my house....another day's rest for Nika....and hopefully, I'll remember to take her with me this morning.

On to an unfinished project--

I mentioned about a week ago that I have a dresser...a dresser which was given to me when my son was born.  This dresser belonged to my grandmother's sister--she had three sisters, I'm not sure which one this belonged to, but I think it was my Great-Aunt Edna.

How old does a piece of furniture have to be in order to be considered an antique? 

Anyway, I have said for years that I am going to refinished this dresser:




I have had every intention of doing this since my son was born--30 years ago.  I'm sure it was never touched when my mother had this or her aunt before her. 

As I'm thinking about doing this...a big undertaking...I'm thinking that this will definitely be a labor of love....restoring an old item to new....a stripping away of the old and replacing this with a new finish....taking the tarnished brass drawer pulls and shining them to brightness....

This verse is brought to mind:


And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit....2 Corinithians 3:18


Our God loves us enough to accept us as we are at this very moment.  But, He doesn't leave us this way...we are constantly being nudged by the Holy Spirit...the very Spirit of our Lord...to be transformed into Christ's image...a stripping away of our old selves...sometimes small pieces at a time...

Which is why I think I'll start with one drawer and move on from there....

Again....I stand amazed....

2 comments:

Peggy July 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM  

Blessings Beth... I hope you remembered Nika, but if not... another day of rest. What about the cats?

Anyways, on to a refinishing project - one drawer at a time sounds do-able. So glad that God does not wait 30 years to get to refinishing us, although with some, it takes that much time just to come to Him. Yet He ever so gently takes out each drawer, and works on us... empties, strips and even buffs us... then the restoration begins. Now that could take 30 years, but He is ever so faithful to remove each scratch, refine, smooth over, take away the tarnished parts, and gives us a 'spanking' brand new look on the outside, we may look ever so good, but it's that inner work when it's all been stripped away... sanded and checked thoroughly for 'termites' or other internal problems that needs the time to be restored... When it is, it truly is a labor of LOVE and He never stops or gives up. I understand how you stand amazed... most of us are. The FINISHED PROJECT is well worth the time and labor, whether it's an antique or just a cherished one... God shines until His image is reflected in His work!

Love and thanks for your visits two days in a row plus last Sunday WOO HOO!!!
Happy summer... shouldn't you be working in your garden? (The dresser is a winter job.)
Peggy

Peggy July 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

ohhh and I say that often to God too... Beth :0)

"AWESOME JOB GOD!!!"

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......