Head to Heart

 Friday, July 8, 2011

I'm linking up today with Peggy for her Friday Feature .

The verse I've chosen for this week is Jeremiah 31:3:

 

Just to fill you in a little....my brain has known this fact--this promise from God--that His love for me will last forever, no matter what--for a long time.

My head knew, but my heart did not.  I memorized this verse long ago--along with many other memorizations  required by my church.  Memorize, repeat back verbatim, then you could move along in your "journey" to the next step.  Memorize, memorize, memorize. 

All of this information stored in my brain.  And that's where it stayed for many, many years--my brain. 

So, though I had all of this head knowledge, I did not have heart knowledge. 

What changed this?  What moved this love of God for me from my head to my heart? 

This happened when I had no where else to turn...no where else to go...

Bitter, angry, mean, jealous, hard as a rock...these were terms you could use to describe me.  I moved through life just trying to get by...just from day to day with no real purpose except to survive another day....I felt dead inside...emotionless....

When someone suggested to me that I attend their church, I brushed them off.  I felt that God had failed me in so many ways, and yes, I was angry at Him, too. 

This friend didn't give up though...didn't berate me for saying that "yes, I would meet her" and then not showing up.  She just asked again...and again....and again....

Until finally, I thought to myself that she's not going to stop asking and bugging me about this until I go...so I may as well go and get it over with....just so she stops...

That Sunday service...this song was played....and the Spirit moved within me...worked against all the bitterness and anger....worked in a huge, powerful, stirring way.





I do not claim to understand the mysteries and ways of God. 

All I know is what happened on that day.....

On that day, my head knowledge moved to my heart and settled there.  I felt God's love for me....I felt drawn closer to Him.....I felt peace and joy like I had never felt in my entire life.  The bitterness, anger, jealousy for others who seemed to have an 'easier life' was swept away....I had been cleaned by my God....covered in the blood of Jesus who died for me.

Yes, God's love is a "forever love".  This love is not dependent upon us "doing" something spectacular.  All He is asking is that we accept His Son, Jesus, as our Savior...and love Him in return.

It is a choice...God's free will allows this choice...to love Him or not.  He is not a pushy, demanding God....but, rather wants us to come to Him freely.

Yes, I was broken at that point in my life.  I have been broken since then....and I will be broken again.

But, knowing in my heart that God's love lasts forever....I can give my brokenness to Him....and He will show me the way....guide me along....restore me to a wholeness that would have never been possible without being shattered first.

4 comments:

Peggy July 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Blessings Beth... Yes, you were made to LOVE and be loved, by His unfailing Love!!!

Not surprised at all but totally delighted that we both chose Jeremiah 31:3's Promise! I love how you give testimony of how God can change us and move that head knowledge to our hearts! I thank God for the power and work of His Holy Spirit in you. Yes, that unconditional love has its power over us and mends the brokenness as it turns all the hardness and melts us into His own. Then it just flows over the rest. Waiting and praying for that day for you when you see those adult kids know Jesus as you do. I'm sure that Lydia will know how much Jesus loves her.
May His love flow down and all around again this weekend as you soak in some of that love!

Love and peace,
Peggy

Peggy July 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

This one also goes with Chris Tomlin's UNFAILING LOVE:

PROMISE from Sunday #184

http://www.365promises.com/daily-promises/2011/7/3/promise-184-sunday-july-3-2011.html

I did not know that God's lovingkindness is His unfailing love!!! But that's easy enough to get!

From the Heart July 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM  

I saw your comment at Peggy's and came to see if you had posted yet. You have a beautiful story to tell of God's unfailing love. I chose Jeremiah 15:26 regarding healing. God's unfailing love has worked in my life so many times. I praise God that you went to church and experienced God's unfailing love. Blessings to you for telling how God brought peace into your life. Sometimes we never know who is reading our blogs or watching our lives and come to know Jesus and experience His unfailing love. You need to sign in at Peggy's with your scripture so others can come and read your story. Praise God for what He has and is doing in your life.

Misty July 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

Beth, this is a beautiful heartfelt post. I love your honesty. I have been in that place.. that broken place, mad at God (many times) but He still loves me. Isn't that amazing? We can move far from Him but He doesn't give up on us, calls us closer. He amazes me. Thank you for sharing a piece of your personal journey, this has been a very encouraging post to read. Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

Misty

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......