Knocking At The Door

 Saturday, July 30, 2011

I am a day late again!!  It seems to be very difficult for me to post on Friday after a long week...

But, as Grandma said:  "Better late than never!"....I'm sure a lot of Grandma's had this saying...

I am joining Peggy for her Friday Feature.  I have chosen these verses from the many of the promises God has given us. 




“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?...Matthew 6:25-26


And these verses go on to say:



Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.....Matthew 6:27-34


If you've been reading along with me, you'll know that I have been having a lot of anxiety and worries over some situations in my life....anxiety to the point that it almost feels debilitating. 

I have been in this place before....about a totally different situation.  But, this worry and anxiety is not the way God wants me to live.  He wants me to be dependent upon me....seeking Him first....and He will supply exactly what I need to go from day to day. 

As I was contemplating upon these verses, a memory was brought to my heart and mind

I was a young girl...perhaps 8 or 9 years old.  I am in church on a Sunday, and it is so hot...just like the days we've been having now.  We had no air conditioning, only fans that were supplied by a local funeral home. 

These fans had pictures on them, and my fan on that very hot day had this exact same picture:


I'm sure that many people have seen this picture--Jesus knocking at the door. 

If you will notice, the door has no handle for Jesus to open the door and come inside.  He is waiting on the other side for us to open the door to our hearts, inviting Him into our lives. 

These verses from Matthew--they are Jesus speaking--speaking to each one of us:

Invite me into your life--I am here for you--don't worry about these things--I can take care of all of these and more--you are My child and I love you....

But, we have to make the choice, open the door, and rest in the assurance that God has the power and strength...will give us the strength through Him and not ourselves....

No, worry will not add a single day to our lives.  In fact, worry will more than likely take away a day or more of our lives.

So, why not give it to God and let Him handle all of these things?  He is so much more capable than I am!!




Strong as a lion; weak as a lamb

2 comments:

Peggy July 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM  

Ohhh that's beautiful Beth... and I love 'strong as a lion, weak as a lamb' as well as the 'knock on the door' explanation as a recollection. This is a wonderful Promise of God you are claiming!
I'm so glad that you joined us on focusing your faith and allowing God to handle ALL. He truly is more capable than us, but how often we want it our way or try doing it on our own first. Thanks Beth!

Love and peace,
Peggy
(I extended the FF til noon just in case for YOU! when I only had 1 hour left in it... God spoke. And I'm glad I listened and waited for this one cuz it's great! Always means more in the way you share and personalize God's Word. I totally understand about not being able to do when you drag yourself home from work at the end of a busy week. So from now on, it will be until noon - just in case). Ohh and thanks for enjoying and sharing Tommy Coomes Praise Band, there aren't many)! Are 'they' the same as Maranatha?

From the Heart July 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM  

Beautiful memory of your childhood. I pray you are feeling better and that God has taken the anxiety away. He said He would bear our burdens, we just have to give them to Him. Praise His holy name. Thank you, Father, for touching my sister and helping her with the anxieties she is is having in the name of Jesus. May you feel the loving arms of Jesus around you, holding you and giving you the rest that you need from this situation.
Love and prayers, AE

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......