Why The Unfinished Project

 Monday, June 27, 2011

And so I am back on Blogger.....

I find this much easier to use, able to add items easily...and a new beginning..."The Unfinished Project".

I have been ill for almost a month now...a time of pain, a time of change, a time of slowly healing.

My home also suffered from me not being able to do all that I usually do in a day's time.  As I was feeling better this past weekend, I decided to sort out some things in my 'craft room'.  I was amazed at all the 'unfinished projects' that I have going on in there!

  • An afghan that I started for myself over a year ago....almost finished...but not quite
  • A baby blanket for my cousin's daughter--started and put aside
  • A shawl for my youngest daughter--not even started--all the supplies just waiting for me
  • Yarn and various items that I bought on a whim...not yet touched
  • My biggest 'physical' unfinished project--my son's dresser
This dresser of my son's originally belonged to my grandmother's sister.  So, I suppose we could call this an antique.  I acquired this from my mother when my son was born--'a place to keep his clothing and things'--she said.  I have stated so many times that I am going to refinish this--bring it to its original beauty. 

When my son moved, I told him to leave the dresser because 'I am going to refinish it'.  He actually laughed and said, "I've been hearing that since I can remember."  And he has....so this is a 30 year unfinished project that will be started.

But, the main unfinished project is me.  We are all unfinished, unpolished, not the 'original beauty' that our Lord intended for us. 

Yesterday, I noticed that a hanging petunia basket on my deck that was once full and beautiful was starting to get 'leggy' and 'scraggly'.  It was still blooming, but the blooms were few and far between....mainly leaves and stems...not many flowers.

I took my scissors in hand, went back to the deck, and what did I do?  I cut each and every stem to about half its long, leggy length.  I have no flowers now...only leaves and stems.

This actually made me feel hurt...the pruning of my petunia....but I know in the long run that this hanging basket will be fuller and produce more flowers because of this pruning process.

This is where I am...in a pruning stage.  Yes, it hurts.  Yes, it is painful.  Yes, I must rid myself of some things, some thoughts, some actions.

But, I will be more productive for the Lord, yield more fruit in my life for Him, cling more closely to Him during this time, and end up on the right side of all of this. 

Will I be finished?  No, I will always be 'unfinished'....always in the stages of growing and pruning....and I will be a finished project when I see Him 'face to face'......restored to the original beauty that He intended for us from the beginning of time.

Hopefully, this will be an encouragement to you...particularly if you yourself are in a pruning stage. 

On this blog, you will see my own journey through the 'finishing stages', as well as the many projects I have around my own home that will be in process.....with some family stories thrown in just for fun.

Have a wonderful day in Him,

Beth

2 comments:

Anonymous,  June 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

WELCOME BACK HOME Beth! Great update post and analogy! Thanks! Not signed in...oh well!

Anonymous,  June 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM  

You need to connect from here:

To HERE!!!

Not just the previous HERE! unless you don't want the connections from the first warmharte to this "unfinished project"...

Love the ups and downs... be up and not frustrated! Precious photo of Lydia and also the other one with Lindsay and Nika!

Thanks for sharing. I do love your new look and what you shared on unfinished business and pruning!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......