Thankful IN ALL Circumstances

 Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday is here, and I am thankful for this day.....

I had to admit that I never truly understood these verses:

Rejoice always, pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.....1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I completely missed the picture of these verses.  In my mind, I would say:  "How?  How can I be thankful for a friend's diagnosis?  How can I be thankful for circumstances in my life that I felt were totally uncalled for...yes, downright unfair...not only to me, but to others.  How?"

And not only 'how', but "why"?  Why? Why? Why?

I confess.....I put these verses aside in my life....thinking that this was totally impossible.  I could not be thankful for cancer in those I love....I could not be thankful for losing my home with three young children and no place to go.....I could not be thankful for a friend's distress....

And the word "no" repeated itself in my heart and mind...over and over again.  "No, I will not be thankful for these." 

All of this...until I read these words:

As we name the gifts of God, our hearts are opened to God’s goodness and trustworthiness. And as we find him trustworthy, we can name his gifts not only in seasons of light but also in seasons of darkness—not only when we feel joyful but also when we feel distraught, or angry, or stressed, or exhausted. Because if we are in Christ, then all God has is ours and all is grace.

Ann Voskamp....One Thousand Gifts

With the reading of these words, I realized that I was missing the big picture and one tiny word in these verses....the word 'in'

Paul is not saying be thankful for our circumstances, but to be thankful in our circumstances.  And this makes all the difference. 

I don't need to thankful for 'things' that have happened or will happen in my life that I truly don't understand.  But, I do need to continue to thankful for God's blessings in my life. 

I think of Jesus with His disciples--their last time together--all gathered in one room...His  knowing what was going to occur--His arrest, the mocking, the crowds, the beatings and ultimately His own death through crucifixion....what does He do?

He gives thanks. 

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”...Matthew 26:26

So, today....I give thanks....not for circumstances....but in circumstances...for God's gifts...

I rest in the knowledge that regardless of the circumstances, He will carry me through.  And I will continue to be thankful for His gifts...the acknowledgement of His love for me...His blessings to me:

54.  Three adult children whose last words to me...whether leaving or disconnecting a phone call...are "I love you."  
 
55.  Coffee with cream on the deck every morning.

56.  The sun rising every morning and hiding every night.

57.  Lydia, who upon receiving a kiss upon her cheek, says, "More kisses, more kisses, more kisses".

58.  Water

59.  Slow healing

60.  Prayer

61.  Being 'chosen'

  
If you would like to join in or see others giving thanks for God's blessings upon them, just click either of the  buttons below.








4 comments:

LivingSoAbundantly June 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

I am so encouraged by your thankful list. I think I am going to have to start one! I drink my smoothie on my patio in the morning! I thought of that when I read about you drinking your coffee on the deck. :) Best wishes for a wonderful Thursday!

Georgia June 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM  

such a nice post!!!! it is always good to be reminded of all the things we are thankful for.

Misty June 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM  

Wow.. very thought provoking post. I love your sentence, "Paul is not saying be thankful for our circumstances, but to be thankful in our circumstances".. By simple changing a word it can change everything. I am learning to be thankful IN my circumstances.

Blessings,
Misty

sharon June 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

True words Beth. IN...how such a little word makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing.

sharon

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts......